The SmartThings app just received an update that many users have been clamoring for- make the dashboard more useful! The old dashboard pretty much consisted of Smart Home Monitor. The only people that were really benefiting from that dashboard were the ones that had Smart Home Monitor set up using security cameras, smoke detectors, door/window contact sensors , or leak detectors. Everyone else was kind of left out. The latest version of the dashboard now includes a Favorites section, to go along with Smart Home Monitor. The new section allows quick access to the devices you select.
The New Dashboard
Not only does the newer dashboard support more functionality, it also sports a background that dramatically changes the look of the app. There are 6 wallpapers to choose from if you don’t like the default. Unfortunately, the background is only applied to the Dashboard page.
Using the New Dashboard
Slideshow- Tap or click to view
While the new Dashboard is a start, I would like to see more functionality baked into the SmartThings app. Specifically, I would like to see native support for conditional rules that allow two or more devices to work together to make something happen. Although SmartThings is moving at a snail’s pace to improve their platform, I will give them credit for constantly working to make their product better.
- Read more about the SmartThings ecosystem
- Read more about how to create a SmartThings routine
- Read more about automating your home with Tasker
- Read more about integrating Alarm.com with SmartThings
- Read more about how to get free home telephone service using Obihai
- Read more about how to fix Samsung S7 Edge SmartThings mobile presence sensor